Sunday, November 25, 2007

Son

I am content. The feeling of elation remains in the aftermath of the previous evening’s events. I slept in this morning; it is mid-day, and I get on the bus. I take my seat in a vacant four-seater; a prime location. I make myself comfortable. It isn’t hard in the pleasantly cool weather and mid-day lazy atmosphere.

A man steps onto the bus. He is tall, handsome. He looks gentle. He pays his due, turns around, and takes hold of a stroller, pulls it aboard. He continues down the aisle with it. The mother is next, followed by a teenager, her daughter. They take their seats. The child is gorgeous; a tiny boy. He is happy, always smiling. The father, he is entirely involved with his son. He places his hand on his son’s head, and it remains there, until the mother reveals a camera. He reaches over and takes it from her, turns it on, and hands it back to her. Dad is talking to the baby. Mom snaps a shot. She laughs. The camera travels to her husband. He enjoys the moment with genuine appreciation. The boy is laughing as well. He didn’t see the picture, but he recognizes the shared joy. Mom continues to capture the splendor of her family. She doesn’t over do it; a few more shots is all it takes. Once she’s finished, she retires to a women’s magazine, but continues to watch her family over the top of its pages. Dad is playing with his boy. Remaining hidden, he grabs his son’s hand and briefly pulls, before releasing it. The baby thrusts his tiny arm towards the monster again and again. The monster strikes! A brief moment of panic, before laughter erupts. His laugh is brilliant! It is spontaneous and mighty. I can feel it. I can feel it inside of me. It is a warm feeling, like the sensation of sun on bare skin on a clear summer afternoon. It is everywhere. Soon, it reaches the surface, and I begin to laugh. The game continues. The boy laughs on. He is small, he is simple. He is unaware of me. He knows only his family. He knows only happiness. And in this moment, so do I.

No comments: